Thursday, November 21, 2013

Review: Prism -- Katy Perry


I make a note of not buying CDs unless I think the artist/music is worth the novelty of hoarding up dust in my room.

And quite recently I've allowed Katy Perry that honour. 

In the past, I've neither disliked nor liked Katy Perry. I found her music videos tacky (and quite frankly I still thought her video for Roar was too campy for my taste, especially for a song that wants to be taken seriously), however I always admired her as a vocalist and found her songs fun to bop along to when I was in a "boppy" mood.


Her latest CD, Prism, marks a change in direction in terms of her style, sound and persona. Once known for being the rebellious teenage girl that shocked her pastor parents by singing, I kissed a girl and I liked it! Katy Perry has quickly blossomed into a mature young woman, who is ready to accept changes in her life and career whilst simultaneously pulling the world along with her.

Her album Prism, although still laden with electro-pop influences and heavy bass lines, showcases a less flamboyant side of Katy, rather highlighting her more vulnerable and sensitive counterpoint. The lyrics of the song, although remaining in a similar structure musically to her previous works, convey her struggle through her divorce and her thoughts on suicide (By The Grace Of God). 

I, personally, was mostly drawn to the last couple of songs in the album as they seem to be a lot more musically innovative, moving away from the conventional mainstream electro-pop sound. The appearance of a piano (albeit electric) in This Moment was a refreshing contrast against the crackling bass, showcasing a bold experimentation with Christian and pop music elements. Similarly, Double Rainbow pulled the instruments into the background, putting Katy's vocals in the foreground so as to emphasise the lyrics, a move which is rare in this current age of mainstream pop. By The Grace Of God was by far the most moving and raw and this was reflected in the music that started off with a simple piano accompaniment. The build-up into a more complex texture in the chorus seemed to run synonymous to the way a movie builds to a resolution. And in the context of the song, it just about nails it. 

Overall, the album is a new creative height for Katy Perry and I would recommend anyone to get it, even if they aren't a Katy Perry fan, just to see how far this incredible young artist has come. 

I give it a 4/5 rating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment